Who's Who:

DH (dear hubby); #1D (eldest daughter); #2D (middle child); OS (Only Son - sO sad that DH would not adopt him a brother)

Sunday, October 31, 2010

American Hallows

It's dusk. GLAD-RAD plays John Powell & Howard Shore, drowning out dear D's air-balloon organ trill next door.  It's that Vincent Price spook 'em tune that he's graciously postponed playing all month until tonight.  The first year his display went up, it played semi-daily until 10 PM, & the kids muttered a bit about lost sleep; but ever the morose one, I rather decided to like it.  (How is it that they lost sleep? They never go to bed until after 1AM?)

I finally heeded the LORD with the apology I owed neighbor kids J & T --over threatening to pray that God avenge the five year old they were picking on.  It went well.  I hate it when my anger management problem overflows into the lives of poor innocent children!  One claimed to have no idea what I was referring to, the other looked at me with those knowing eyes that told me he'd been wondering when I was going to 'fess up.  It was a good opportunity to remind them how much God loves them and does not plan to harm people, only to bid them Come To HIM when He calls.  These boys grew up mostly avoiding Sunday School, Bible Club, and much of my God talk, but I perceive a deep well of need and a welcome mat for the Gospel.  Holy LORD, capture the boys of our street, pour out your grace and mercy and bid them with powerful visions of all you have in store, not just all you hope to save them from... in the Name of our Saviour, Christ Jesus! aMeN.

It's time to set up our coffee table out front.  Like last year, I'm not sure who will hand out candy at the door, as all three offspring have sprung to attend parties.  After our chili and pizza night two years back, it became clear that our living room is too small for an all-comers neighborhood gathering.  The coffee-out-front idea was suggested at church. Good call.  I want to take credit for their change of heart in canceling ye olde harvest carnival.  I'd always excuse ourselves from it to stay home where the relationships are.  I  mean, who wants to miss out on all the kids, the costumes, the chiming trick-or-treat!'s? Someone must have been listening.

God of heaven, secure the borders of our corner of this patch of planet.  With your angelic heraldry, defend and arrest anything demonic that would dare foment evil in our children and our ways.  Open the eyes of our neighborhood that You would be our first thought every day, and your praises lifted before our first act every morning.

Saints alive! It's Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment