Who's Who:

DH (dear hubby); #1D (eldest daughter); #2D (middle child); OS (Only Son - sO sad that DH would not adopt him a brother)

Wednesday, February 22, 2012


Observant of an Heritage
This fine Ash WedNESday tried:
The 280th, maybe, birthday
Of Greatness rarified.

Good George, the last best hope
Of this people's rotting pride;
Born before Greg - Julian split 
(That schism when the calendar plied).






Since the Bristol Farms man had no Shad, I asked him,
"What else Did Martha find to eat Along the mighty Potomac?" 
The fishmonger pushed a pricy venison, so tonight we'll eat his game, roots and tubers, peas and beans, and "salat" fresh from the herb garden. 
We'll sing an ode, read a speech and toast the name of him whose propriety ought to be the core of every man, and until Christ comes again, I'll cry because it is not.



"O eternal and everlasting God, I presume to present myself this morning before thy Divine majesty, beseeching thee to accept of my humble and hearty thanks, that it hath pleased they great goodness to keep and preserve me the night past from all the dangers poor mortals are subject to, and has given me sweet and pleasant sleep, whereby I find my body refreshed and comforted for performing the duties of this day, in which I beseech thee to defend me from all perils of body and soul.

Direct my thoughts, words and work, and wash away my sins in the immaculate blood of the lamb, and purge my heart by thy holy spirit from the dross of my natural corruption, that I may with more freedom of mind and liberty of will serve thee, the everlasting God, in righteousness and holiness this day and all the days of my life."







George Washington (1732-1799)
- - Prayer journal, undated, Mount Vernon.


No comments:

Post a Comment