Who's Who:

DH (dear hubby); #1D (eldest daughter); #2D (middle child); OS (Only Son - sO sad that DH would not adopt him a brother)

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Billy G.

Before I became a zygote, I was a church volunteer. As such, I thought I'd just gayly crusade against abortion and simply watch the enemies of the unborn fall at my feet, impressed by my good looks and stellar volunteer qualities.

Oops.

I well remember the day when, already weary in my battlefighting "want-to," I read that Billy Graham "won't touch" controversy at his crusades.  He felt that too many post abortive women would wince if he brought up the "A" word; that meddling in their decision to kill their unborn child would send them spiraling. That they would not respond to "the gospel" in a state of spiral.

Billy was wrong.  He probably thot the source of his reasoning was that phantom Spirit who tells people (me excepted) how to do stuff w/o blowing it; but I think it was really that BoogieMan Fear celebrities have (and pastors who think they are celebrities have); that fear of being not liked. That fear of risking criticism and losing the approval of your adoring fans.

I remember well my reaction to this news: spewing venom so vile that I cursed the name of Billy Graham in the presence of some churchy person who looked slightly shocked that anyone would question the Pope of protestants.

I was wrong, too.  I had not got it in my head yet that, even tho Popes are fallible, you don't trash people w/o risk to your own soul.  I'm sorry, Mr. Graham, sir.


Well, he's finally got it right:

"In a new prayer letter, Rev. Graham quotes his late wife Ruth as saying, 'If God doesn’t punish America, He’ll have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah.' 

In the years since Ruth made that remark... 'Millions of babies have been aborted and our nation seems largely unconcerned. 

Self-centered indulgence, pride and a lack of shame over sin are now emblems of the American lifestyle...' ”



It's ABOUT TIME. 



“The farther we get from God, the more the world spirals out of control...”

“...a terrible downward spiral of our nation’s moral standards and the idolatry of worshipping false gods such as technology and sex.”

Well, Billy. What did you expect? In a fallen world, 
"spiral" is just another setting on the Normal Dial. Spirals
are what make us human. Once we figure out that the only
sane Anti-Spiral is humility before God, people get healthy.
Then, healthy communities can finally take root. It takes
a spiral to make a village.
So, hopefully now he's learned: In these United States, successful
crusaders have to "call a spade a spade," or
NO ONE will know what you're talking about.
(Probl'y because seventy years of television 
addiction have left a heavy mark on the national conscience,
body and soul AND mind.) 

(Tell me again? Why do I WANT to be born?)

Since Blogger is busy being buggy, here's the article:

"Billy Graham's Strong Stand"
http://www.presidentialprayerteam.com/morality-in-america

(Quotes from Presidential Prayer Team's Jim Ray.
Ray is a writer, fundraiser and consultant 
in Nashville, TN.)






























































No comments:

Post a Comment